| Latest crime news headlines from Yahoo India News. Find top stories, videos, pictures & in-depth coverage on crime news from national news section.
| Knox and Sollecito convicted again of Briton's 2007 murder | | By Naomi O'Leary FLORENCE, Italy (Reuters) - American student Amanda Knox and her former Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were found guilty on Thursday for the second time of the 2007 murder of Briton Meredith Kercher, in a retrial that reversed an earlier appeal judgment. The verdict, after 12 hours of deliberations, confirmed Knox and Sollecito's original 2009 conviction. Knox's sentence was increased to 28 years and six months and Sollecito was sentenced to 25 years. Sollecito's lawyer Giulia Bongiorno confirmed that her client would appeal to Italy's highest court, and Knox's lawyer Carlo Dalla Vedova said he was "stunned".
|
| U.S. to seek death penalty for accused Boston Marathon bomber | | By David Ingram and Richard Valdmanis WASHINGTON/BOSTON (Reuters) - The United States will seek the death penalty for accused bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who is charged with planting homemade explosives devices that killed three people and wounded 264 at the Boston Marathon last year, the government's chief prosecutor said on Thursday. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement that he was authorizing trial prosecutors to seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev, who is charged with committing one of the largest attacks on U.S. soil since September 11, 2001. Holder had faced a Friday deadline for deciding whether to seek the death penalty as part of Tsarnaev's upcoming trial in Boston. Government prosecutors said in a filing with the U.S. District Court in Boston that reasons for Holder's decision included that the killings were premeditated, cruel and that Tsarnaev had shown a lack of remorse.
|
| In double legal trouble, Bieber tests positive for pot, meds | | | By Cameron French and Zachary Fagenson TORONTO/MIAMI BEACH (Reuters) - Teen pop star Justin Bieber, facing charges in the United States and Canada, had pot and anti-anxiety medication in his system when arrested in Florida last week but told police his mother "takes care" of his prescriptions, according to official reports released Thursday. Bieber was charged late on Wednesday with assaulting a limousine driver in Toronto and the Toronto Star newspaper reported Thursday that the driver in the alleged assault in December quit his job "in shock" following the incident. The charges over the last week now put Bieber at risk of serving jail time. On Thursday, a report by the Miami-Dade Office of the State Attorney said Bieber had marijuana and prescription medication for anxiety in his system when he was arrested in Miami Beach. |
| Bieber took pot, prescription meds before Miami arrest - authorities | | By Zachary Fagenson MIAMI BEACH, Florida (Reuters) - Teen pop star Justin Bieber had marijuana and prescription medication for anxiety in his system at the time of his arrest last week in Miami Beach, the state attorney's office said on Thursday. Bieber, who is Canadian, was charged with driving under influence, resisting arrest without violence and driving on an expired license. The affidavit was posted online by the CBS television affiliate in Miami, WFOR-TV, and its authenticity was confirmed by Miami Beach police detective Vivian Hernandez. Bieber, whose private life has taken a tumultuous turn in the past year, was also charged on Wednesday with assaulting a limousine driver in Toronto in December.
|
| Jewish leader says German museums turn blind eye to Nazi-looted art | | | By Monica Raymunt BERLIN (Reuters) - German museums are wilfully ignoring their duty to come clean about works they hold that were looted from Jews by the Nazis, the head of the World Jewish Congress said on Thursday, and the government must do more to force them to act. Germany has faced heavy criticism over its handling of the discovery of 1,407 Nazi-plundered works in the flat of Cornelius Gurlitt, an elderly recluse whose father took orders from Hitler to buy and sell so-called 'degenerate art' to fund Nazi activities. Since a magazine broke the story last November, debate over the rightful ownership of works stashed in the Munich apartment - including by masters such as Duerer, Delacroix, Picasso and Matisse - has grown into a wider controversy over thousands of paintings on open display in museums. "They know what's been stolen," WJC President Ronald Lauder told Reuters in an interview during a visit to Berlin. |
| Police find stolen reliquary of Pope John Paul, but no blood | | Police on Thursday recovered a stolen gold and glass case that once contained the blood of the late Pope John Paul II, only to find the cloth stained with the blood itself was missing, officials said. Pasquale Corriere, head of the association that looks after the small church in the mountains east of Rome from which the reliquary was stolen, said two men had been detained by police in the regional capital, L'Aquila. The men took the police to the site where they had dumped the reliquary, but the cloth stained with the blood of the pope, who died in 2005, was no longer inside, Corriere said. The blood-soaked cloth was a fragment of the cassock that John Paul was wearing on May 13, 1981, when he was shot in an assassination attempt.
|
| In Egypt, just speaking to Brotherhood is a risk for foreign reporters | | | By Michael Georgy CAIRO (Reuters) - When Hosni Mubarak was in power, a foreign journalist could spend unlimited time with members of the opposition Muslim Brotherhood, who roundly condemned the autocratic leader. The public prosecutor said on Wednesday that Egypt would put an Australian, two Britons and a Dutchwoman working for Al Jazeera on trial for aiding 16 Egyptians belonging to a "terrorist organisation", a reference to the Brotherhood. Simply interacting with the Brotherhood may earn them prison sentences in Egypt, a major recipient of U.S. aid. Egypt has cracked down on dissent since the army toppled the Muslim Brotherhood's Mohamed Mursi, the country's first freely elected president, in July after mass protests against him. |
| Toronto mayor defends Bieber after new charge, but not his music | | Justin Bieber has run afoul of police in both Canada and the United States in just one week, but the teenage pop star has at least one defender who knows something about negative attention: fellow Canadian and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. Ford, who has become a staple of late-night punch lines since he admitted in November that he had smoked crack cocaine while in a "drunken stupor", defended Bieber on Thursday during an interview on a Washington, D.C., radio show called Sports Junkies. Think back to when you were 19." Ford made the comment after one of the hosts call Bieber "Canada's worst export." Asked if he was a fan of Bieber's music, Ford said his tastes leaned more toward classic rock acts such as Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, and the Eagles. Bieber was charged on Wednesday with assaulting a limousine driver in Toronto in December.
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment