Thursday, March 13, 2014

Criminal News Headlines | National News - Yahoo India News

Your RSS feed from RSSFWD.com. Update your RSS subscription
RSSFWD

Criminal News Headlines | National News - Yahoo India News

Latest crime news headlines from Yahoo India News. Find top stories, videos, pictures & in-depth coverage on crime news from national news section.



Sierra Leone's wartime president Ahmad Tejan Kabbah dies
8:26:37 PM

Sierra Leone's President Kabbah addresses the   European Development Days conference in BrusselsSierra Leone's former president Ahmad Tejan Kabbah, widely credited for ending an 11-year civil war, died on Thursday at the age of 82 after a long illness. President Ernest Bai Koroma's government said in a statement that Kabbah's death was an "irreparable loss" to the West African nation and it declared a week of national mourning. Kabbah, a long-time U.N. official, won the presidency in 1996, ending a decade of military rule. The civil war had made Sierra Leone a watchword for brutality, with the drug-crazed child soldiers of the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) rebels chopping off the hands and feet of civilians.




Crimea leader sees over 80 percent backing Russia union
8:08:25 PM

Crimea's pro-Moscow leader Sergei Aksyonov is   pictured in SimferopolBy Aleksandar Vasovic SIMFEROPOL, Ukraine (Reuters) - The leader of Crimea's separatist authorities said more than 80 percent of the region's people supported the break with Ukraine and union with Russia that they will vote on in a referendum on Sunday. Sergei Aksyonov, who came to power as Russian-backed forces seized the Black Sea peninsula last week, dismissed opponents' accusations that he will fix the outcome on Moscow's orders. Now Crimea's prime minister, he told Reuters on Thursday that the plebiscite would deliver a "Yes" vote to accepting Russian sovereignty without recourse to fraud. "The process will be transparent and fair," he said inside Crimea's regional parliament building.




U.S. suspends some aid to Uganda over anti-gay law
7:37:22 PM
By Philippa Croome KAMPALA (Reuters) - The United States has suspended some aid to Uganda's ministry of health, officials said on Thursday, in its first concrete move reported in response to the passing of an anti-homosexuality law. The U.S. had signalled it was reviewing its ties with the East African country after President Yoweri Museveni signed in legislation on February 24 that punishes gay sex with jail terms up to life. "As a result of this review process, a portion of the U.S. Centre for Disease Control's (CDC) cooperative agreement with the Ministry of Health has been put on hold pending this review," a senior U.S. government official told Reuters on Thursday. The U.S. official did not say how much aid was withheld but added the CDC had spent $3.9 million on a ministry of health programme last year.


Sudan rebel leaders, 15 others, condemned to death - lawyer
7:29:59 PM
Two leaders from the main rebel alliance fighting Sudan's president and 15 members of their group were sentenced to death in absentia on Thursday, their lawyer said, a move that will raise the stakes in fighting in southern regions. Malik Agar, who was governor of Sudan's remote Blue Nile state before taking up arms, and Yassir Arman, who stood against Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir in 2010 elections, were both condemned, lawyer Altujani Hassan told Reuters. Agar is now the head, and Arman the secretary general, of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement - North (SPLM-N), particularly active in southern Blue Nile and oil-producing South Kordofan regions. The sentence came weeks after the African Union adjourned talks it was brokering between SPLM-N and Sudan's government, saying both sides were deadlocked.


Gunmen kill at least 40 in Nigerian ethnic violence
7:24:47 PM
Gunmen have killed at least 40 people in a series of attacks in the northern Nigerian state of Katsina, in violence between rival ethnic groups over farmland and cattle, police said on Thursday. "The figure that I have is 40 dead and it was a clash between Hausa people and Fulani herdsmen," Katsina state police commissioner Hurdi Mohammed told Reuters. Africa's most populous nation often has periods of bloody violence stirred by cattle rustling or ethnic rivalries over fertile farmland. The attack in Katsina was not thought to be linked to an Islamist insurgency raging in the northeast.


Australians apply in vain for Sri Lankan hangman job
6:57:48 PM
Two Australians have applied in vain for Sri Lanka's hangman job after the island nation's last official executioner got upset on seeing the gallows for the first time and quit. "Two Australians have sent emails to one of our departments saying that they are interested," Chandrarathna Pallegama, commissioner general of prisons, told Reuters on Thursday. "One is a system administrator and the other had not mentioned the job he is doing," he said. "We have not called the applications, moreover we do not have any provisions to recruit foreigners." Pallegama said on Tuesday the last hangman, who was third most qualified among 176 applicants for the job, quit after getting upset at seeing the gallows.


Princess Diana leaked royal directories to Murdoch tabloid, court hears
6:48:19 PM

Goodman, the former royal editor at News of the   World, arrives at a courthouse in LondonBy Michael Holden LONDON (Reuters) - The former royal editor of Rupert Murdoch's now defunct British tabloid the News of the World told a court on Thursday the late Princess Diana had given him a directory of royal phone numbers to get back at her then husband Prince Charles. Clive Goodman said the confidential directory which contained numbers of senior members of Britain's royal household was delivered to the newspaper's offices in 1992 when Diana was growing increasingly bitter about her husband. Goodman, who was jailed in 2007 for accessing the voicemails of mobile phones belonging to senior royal aides, is on trial accused of making illegal payments to police officers to obtain telephone directories of the royal household. Police found 15 such directories at Goodman's home when he was arrested in 2006.




Islamist rebels in Syria claim kidnapping of 94 civilians - video
6:26:16 PM
Sunni Islamist rebels in Syria have claimed responsibility for kidnapping at least 94 women and children belonging to President Bashar al-Assad's minority Alawite sect, according to a video published on Thursday. The civilians were abducted in August from villages in rural Latakia, the president's coastal stronghold. The video, obtained by Qatari-owned television station Al Jazeera, said the rebels were ready to swap the civilians for 2,000 prisoners who have been detained for more than a year. It stipulated that most of the freed prisoners be from coastal areas of the country and that half of them be women and children, Al Jazeera said.


Death penalty reminds criminal that life is precious: Delhi HC
6:16:22 PM
New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) The Delhi High Court, while confirming the death penalty to Dec 16 gang rape convicts, Thursday said that such sentence is retained in law to remind such criminals in the society that human life is very precious. A division bench of Justice Reva Khetrapal and Justice Pratibha Rani said: "Society's abhorrence to the atrocious crimes perpetrated upon innocent and helpless victims has resulted in the death penalty being retained on the statute book to remind such criminals in the society that human life is very precious and one who dares to take the life of others must lose his own life." The judges' remark came while observing that courts of law have been faced with the eternal strife between the humanistic approach reflected in death sentence in no case doctrine favoured by the abolitionists and the retributive approach reflected in the death penalty in all heinous crimes favoured by the retentionists. The court said that the judiciary in India has been vested with the discretion to impose or not to impose the death penalty - one of the greatest burdens it must carry till the death penalty remains on the statute book.


Turkey's Erdogan condemns protesters as deaths fuel tensions
5:50:41 PM

Mourners march as they follow the coffin of Burakcan   Karamanoglu during his funeral ceremony in Istanbul March 13, 2014. REUTERS/Osman   OrsalBy Daren Butler ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan condemned anti-government protesters on Thursday as "charlatans" bent on sowing chaos in the run-up to local elections after Turkey's worst civil unrest since mass protests last summer. Two people died during protests on Wednesday, including a police officer in eastern Turkey who suffered a heart attack and a 22-year-old man shot in Istanbul in an apparent stand-off with a group of anti-government protesters. Several thousand people gathered for Burakcan Karamanoglu's funeral in Istanbul's conservative Kasimpasa district, where Erdogan grew up and still commands fervent loyalty, his death becoming a rallying point for government supporters.




Dec 16 gang rape brought major reforms: Delhi HC
5:26:18 PM
New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday the Dec 16, 2012 gang rape brought about major reforms in criminal law dealing with offences against women. A division bench of Justice Reva Khetrapal and Justice Pratibha Rani observed that the incident sparked an unprecedented public movement where people from every strata of the society came on a common platform demanding justice for the victim. It said the outcry was for safety of women and punishment proportionate to the crime for the offenders and the demand was for amending the penal law, thereby prescribing death sentence in deserving cases of rape. "The Criminal Law Amendment Act, 2013 was passed amending the Indian Penal Code to provide death penalty in rape cases that lead to death of the victim or leave her in a vegetative state," the court said.


Car slams into crowd near Texas SXSW festival, two killed, 23 injured
5:23:13 PM
By Jon Herskovitz AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - A car evading a police sobriety checkpoint plowed into a crowd at high speed outside a nightclub in Austin on Thursday, killing two people and injuring 23 near the South by Southwest festival, police said. The driver, identified only as a black male, fled from police and was subdued by an officer using a stun gun after the incident near the SXSW festival. The two people killed were a Texas woman who was riding on a moped and a Dutch man who was riding a bicycle, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo told a news conference. The suspect was asked to pull over at a sobriety check point and instead sped away from a police car.


Battle resumes over Richard III's final resting place
5:22:28 PM

A facial reconstruction of King Richard III is   displayed at a news conference in central London February 5, 2013. REUTERS/Andrew   WinningBy Belinda Goldsmith LONDON (Reuters) - More than five centuries after he went down fighting, medieval monarch Richard III is in the middle of another battle - this time over where in England his newly discovered remains should be re-buried. The Plantagenet Alliance, which includes Richard's distant descendants, has asked England's High Court to rule on plans to re-bury their ancestor's remains in Leicester, the city where they were found two years ago under a municipal car park. The alliance says the Ministry of Justice was "unreasonable" to give permission to Leicester to bury him in its cathedral and argues the decision on the final resting place of the last Plantagenet king should have been a matter of public consultation. "It matters what happens when you identify the only king since 1066 whose remains were not identified," the alliance's counsel Gerard Clarke told the court on Thursday.




Ex-NFL star Darren Sharper ordered held without bail in Los Angeles
5:00:19 PM

Former professional football player Darren Sharper   appears for his arraignment at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center   in Los Angeles, California February 20, 2014. REUTERS/Mario AnzuoniFormer NFL star Darren Sharper, who faces accusations in several states of drugging and raping a number of women, was ordered held without bail by a Los Angeles judge on Thursday. Sharper, 38, who played 14 years in the National Football League and helped the New Orleans Saints win a 2010 Super Bowl championship, has been jailed since he was charged last month in Los Angeles with drugging four women and raping two of them. The former pro football star appeared in court handcuffed and wearing an orange jail jumpsuit as a Los Angeles Superior Court judge ordered him held without bail pending a hearing on March 24.




Virginia university back to normal after bomb threat
4:45:39 PM
A George Mason University campus resumed normal operations after a bomb threat was investigated on Thursday, the Virginia school said. Buildings had been evacuated and shuttle bus service was suspended as authorities sought information about who made the bomb threat. Nearly 33,920 students attend George Mason, according to the website. The bomb threat came a week after a written threat was found at George Mason's Fairfax campus.


Cantona arrested for suspected assault in London - reports
4:34:05 PM

Former soccer player Eric Cantona, from France, takes   part in a conference during the Global Sports Forum in Barcelona March 8, 2012.   REUTERS/Albert GeaLONDON (Reuters) - Former Manchester United striker Eric Cantona, the catalyst for the club's first English league title win for 26 years in 1993, was arrested on Wednesday following reports of assault, British media reported. The 47-year-old Frenchman, who retired as a player in 1997, was detained near Regent's Park in London, Sky News said on Thursday. Police refused to confirm the identity of the man but said in a statement they had arrested a male in his mid-40s. ...




India joins search for missing Malaysian plane
4:32:14 PM
New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) India Thursday joined the search for the missing Malaysian aircraft, pressing into service its Navy, Air Force and the Coast Guard. The decision was taken after a formal request in this regard was received from the Indian High Commissioner in Kuala Lumpur, a government statement said here. Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 with 239 passengers and crew onboard vanished without a trace after taking off from Kuala Lumpur Saturday. The focus of the search has shifted westward towards the Andaman Sea now, the release said, adding that the search has been expanded to cover an area stretching from South China Sea to Andaman Sea.


Syria-fuelled fighting in Lebanon's second city kills two - sources
4:30:19 PM
Fighting between rival sects in Lebanon's second city killed two people including a 10-year-old girl on Thursday, security and medical sources said, in violence stoked by the war in neighbouring Syria. Clashes between Sunni Muslims and members of the Shi'ite-derived Alawite sect in the northern city of Tripoli broke out after gunmen shot a Sunni man who had Alawite family members and lived in a mostly Alawite area of the city, the sources said. The man later died of his wounds and at least 14 people were wounded in the ensuing clashes, including two soldiers and one gendarme after Lebanon's security services sent reinforcements in to restore order. A 10-year-old girl was also killed by sniper fire as residents in the Sunni Bab al-Tabbaneh and Alawite Jabal Mohsen areas exchanged fire, Lebanon's National News Agency said.


Egyptian candidate questions Sisi's commitment to democracy
4:27:52 PM

Leftist leader Hamdeen Sabahi (C) speaks to media   after the funeral prayers of prominent Egyptian poet Ahmed Fouad Negm at   Al-Hussein mosque in Cairo December 3, 2013. REUTERS/Stringer/FilesBy Yasmine Saleh and Michael Georgy CAIRO (Reuters) - Leftist presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabahi says he doubts Egypt's army chief will bring democracy if elected, citing alleged rights abuses since he toppled the country's first democratically chosen leader. Sabahi endorsed Field Marshal Abdel Fattah al-Sisi's ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Mursi last July, but argues that the repression Egypt suffered under autocrat Hosni Mubarak still taints the political landscape three years after his fall. Sisi is due to announce his candidacy within a week and is likely to win the presidential election by a landslide. Asked if Sisi could be a democratic leader, Sabahi said the military man's role in guiding Egypt's political transition so far "makes him bear a direct or indirect political responsibility for a list of rights violations".




Dec 16 gang rape: High court confirms death sentences, parents happy
4:26:15 PM
New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday upheld death sentences for the four convicts in the Dec 16, 2012 gang rape, holding their "barbaric" act "not worthy of human condonation". Delivering the judgment in a jam-packed courtroom, a division bench of Justice Reva Khetrapal and Justice Pratibha Rani said the "completely revolting, gruesome and spine-chilling act" of these convicts leave no chance for their "reformation".


RSSFWD - From RSS to Inbox
3600 O'Donnell Street, Suite 200, Baltimore, MD 21224. (410) 230-0061
WhatCounts

No comments:

Post a Comment