Thursday, February 2, 2017

Criminal News Headlines | National News – Yahoo India News

Your RSS feed from RSSFWD.com. Update your RSS subscription
RSSFWD

Criminal News Headlines | National News – Yahoo India News

Latest crime news headlines from Yahoo India News. Find top stories, videos, pictures & in-depth coverage on crime news from national news section.



South Korea's presidential Blue House blocks search amid graft probe
6:54:21 AM

A man holds up a picture bearing an image of South   Korean President Park Geun-hye as he attends a ceremony to celebrate the new year   after a protest demanding Park's resignation, in SeoulBy Ju-min Park and Christine Kim SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea's special prosecutor officials withdrew from the presidential Blue House on Friday after it blocked them from searching offices there in the latest development in a corruption scandal that has gripped the country for months. A spokesman for the special prosecution later said it was considering seeking the cooperation of acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn in getting access to search the presidential office. "According to criminal law, we arrived at the conclusion we cannot force our search if the subject refuses," a spokesman for the special prosecutor, Lee Kyu-chul, told a media briefing.




South Korea prosecutor may ask acting president to allow Blue House search
6:11:31 AM

People march toward the Presidential Blue House   during a protest demanding South Korean President Park Geun-hye's resignation   in SeoulSouth Korean special prosecutor's office said on Friday it may ask the acting president to intervene to allow a search of the presidential Blue House offices as part of an investigation into a graft scandal involving President Park Geun-hye. The Blue House earlier on Friday blocked investigators from executing a search warrant for its offices, citing security reasons. Special prosecution spokesman Lee Kyu-chul told reporters the office had no means to override the presidential office's objections but believed approval from acting president Hwang Kyo-ahn would provide grounds to conduct a search of the presidential offices.




U.S. to issue new Iran sanctions, opening shot in get-tough strategy - sources
6:03:15 AM

Iran's President Hassan Rouhani looks at an   exhibit during a ceremony marking National Day of Space Technology in TehranBy Arshad Mohammed, Matt Spetalnick and Jonathan Landay WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump is poised to impose new sanctions on multiple Iranian entities, seeking to ratchet up pressure on Tehran while crafting a broader strategy to counter what he sees as its destabilising behaviour, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday. In the first tangible action against Iran since Trump took office on Jan. 20, the administration, on the same day he insisted that "nothing is off the table," prepared to roll out new measures against more than two dozen Iranian targets, the sources said. The new sanctions, which are being taken under existing executive orders covering terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, may mark the opening shot in a more aggressive policy against Iran that Trump promised during the 2016 presidential campaign, the sources, who had knowledge of the administration's plans, said.




Trump order blocking some from Muslim-majority nations re-entering U.S. - lawsuit
5:28:17 AM

Pakistani American Aisha Yaqoop, 23, of Atlanta,   yells slogans during an anti-Donald Trump travel ban protest outside   Hatfield-Jackson AtlantaThe Trump administration is violating the rights of some nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries targeted in a travel ban by barring their re-entry into the United States, the ACLU said in a proposed-class action lawsuit filed on Thursday. The lead plaintiffs in the lawsuit filed in federal court in the Northern District of California are student visa holders, including one Yemeni national who left the United States and is unable to come back, according to the court documents. The lawsuit is a proposed class-action brought on behalf of nationals of the people who are living in the United States or who have lived in the country and are originally from the Muslim-majority nations named in President Donald Trump's executive order temporarily banning entry from those countries.




North Korean defector sees 'crack in elite' in report of minister's dismissal
5:18:46 AM

KCNA photo of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un   inspecting the construction site of Ryomyong StreetBy Ju-min Park SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has dismissed its minister of state security, a key aide to the reclusive state's young leader, Kim Jong Un, South Korea said on Friday, in what a high-profile defector said would be another sign of a "crack in the elite" in Pyongyang if true. Kim Won Hong was removed from office as head of the feared "bowibu", or Stasi-like secret police, in mid-January apparently on charges of corruption, abuse of power and human rights abuses, Jeong Joon-hee, South Korea's Unification Ministry spokesman, said, confirming media reports. Kim Jong Un became leader in 2011 after the death of his father, Kim Jong Il, and his consolidation of power has included purges and executions of top officials, South Korean officials have said.




Missing China tycoon's company says 'operating as normal', shares slump
4:01:56 AM

A statement of Chinese billionaire Xiao Jianhua is   printed on the front page of local newspaper Ming Pao in Hong KongSHANGHAI/BEIJING (Reuters) - Listed firms controlled by Tomorrow Holdings, the company run by missing Chinese-born businessman Xiao Jianhua, slumped on Friday, despite the parent group saying its businesses were all operating normally. Mystery swirled around billionaire Xiao's whereabouts earlier this week, with some reports saying he had been abducted from Hong Kong and taken to mainland China. A statement purportedly from Xiao posted in a Hong Kong newspaper said he was seeking medical treatment "outside the country".




Trump vows to end prohibition on church political activity
3:24:38 AM

U.S. President Donald Trump is seen on a screen as he   delivers remarks at the National Prayer Breakfast in WashingtonBy Jeff Mason and Roberta Rampton WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Thursday vowed to free churches and other tax-exempt institutions of a 1954 U.S. law banning political activity, drawing fire from critics who accused him of rewarding his evangelical Christian supporters and turning houses of worship into political machines. As Trump used a prayer breakfast to take aim at a long-standing statutory barrier between politics and religion called the Johnson Amendment, civil liberties and gay rights groups expressed concern that he might consider an executive order to allow government agencies and businesses to deny services to gay people in the name of religious freedom.




U.S. watchdog agency to review implementation of Trump travel ban
3:15:32 AM

International travelers arrive after U.S. President   Donald Trump's executive order travel ban at Logan Airport in BostonA watchdog agency at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said it is planning to review how President Donald Trump's immigration executive order to temporarily suspend travel from seven majority-Muslim nations was implemented. The review of Friday's order was being planned "in response to congressional request and whistleblower and hotline complaints," the DHS's Office of Inspector General said in a statement late Wednesday. The watchdog agency would also look at "DHS' adherence to court orders and allegations of individual misconduct on the part of DHS personnel," the statement said. "If circumstances warrant, the OIG will consider including other issues that may arise during the course of the review." The order, which barred Syrian refugees indefinitely and imposed a 90-day suspension on people from seven predominantly Muslim countries, triggered widespread protests and caused confusion for travelers around the world.




Brazil's Temer lifts infrastructure aide to ministry post
3:13:52 AM

Brazil's President Michel Temer, gestures during   an interview with Reuters at his office in BrasiliaBrazilian President Michel Temer elevated his infrastructure investment secretary to a ministry-level position on Thursday, granting a degree of legal protection to a trusted confidant implicated in a sweeping corruption investigation. Wellington Moreira Franco, a close adviser to the president, will also be responsible for communications and ceremonies, the presidential spokesman told journalists. The promotion highlighted Temer's confidence in Moreira Franco, who, according to a source, had drafted a resignation letter in December after plea bargain testimony in a major graft probe implicated him in illegal campaign fundraising.




Brazil speaker's re-election bodes well for Temer reforms
3:12:34 AM

Congressman Rodrigo Maia, of the center-right   Democrats party, celebrates after being re-elected to the lower house of   Brazil's Congress in BrasiliaBy Maria Carolina Marcello and Anthony Boadle BRASILIA (Reuters) - The lower house of Brazil's Congress re-elected an ideological ally of President Michel Temer as its speaker on Thursday, confirming his government's majority and improving prospects for approval of unpopular fiscal austerity measures. Congressman Rodrigo Maia, of the center-right Democrats party, comfortably retained the speakership with 293 votes, well in excess of the required simple majority of 257. Maia, 46, promised to make the lower chamber a "protagonist" in Temer's reform agenda and give priority to passage of a bill modernizing Brazil's outdated labor laws, a major demand from businessmen struggling with a two-year recession.




Critics decry Trump plan to limit counter-extremism program
2:58:09 AM

A boy looks up as demonstrators pray while   participating in a protest by the Yemeni community against U.S. President Donald   Trump's travel ban in the Brooklyn borough of New YorkBy Kristina Cooke and Dustin Volz SAN FRANCISCO/ WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Trump administration effort to exclude violent white supremacists from a government anti-terrorism program and focus efforts solely on Islamist extremism drew a sharp backlash Thursday, with New York state's top prosecutor denouncing the move and civil liberties advocates suggesting it is illegal. The proposed revamp, reported by Reuters on Wednesday, would rename the multi-agency "Countering Violent Extremism" (CVE) task force to "Countering Islamic Extremism" or "Countering Radical Islamic Extremism," and eliminate initiatives aimed at other violent hate groups in the United States. "Abandoning efforts to counter violent white supremacist ideology is profoundly misguided and will endanger Americans," New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said in a statement, adding that he urged President Donald Trump to keep the focus on "all extremist threats." Hugh Handeyside, a staff attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, said an explicit focus on American Muslims would violate "basic constitutional principles," suggesting the changes described would be met with legal challenges.




RSSFWD - From RSS to Inbox
 
Powered By Campaigner®

No comments:

Post a Comment