Friday, February 3, 2017

Criminal News Headlines | National News – Yahoo India News

Your RSS feed from RSSFWD.com. Update your RSS subscription
RSSFWD

Criminal News Headlines | National News – Yahoo India News

Latest crime news headlines from Yahoo India News. Find top stories, videos, pictures & in-depth coverage on crime news from national news section.



Judges across U.S. to weigh challenges to Trump travel ban
11:07:03 AM

A member of the flight crew of an Emirates flight   from Dubai arrives after U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order travel   ban at Logan Airport in BostonBy Scott Malone and Dan Levine BOSTON/SEATTLE (Reuters) - Justice Department lawyers across the United States will on Friday defend President Donald Trump's order temporarily banning citizens of seven majority-Muslim nations from entering the country, a directive some attorneys general say is unconstitutional. Trump last week signed the executive order, which affects people holding passports from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen, and also halts temporarily the entry of refugees into the country. Federal judges in Boston, Seattle and Virginia will weigh lawsuits filed by different states and advocacy groups challenging Trump's order.




Fillon fights to remain in French presidential race
11:04:26 AM

Former French prime minister Fillon, member of The   Republicans political party and 2017 presidential candidate of the French   centre-right, attends a political rally in Charleville-MezieresBy Brian Love PARIS (Reuters) - Francois Fillon fought to keep his place as French conservative presidential candidate on Friday amid sliding opinion poll ratings and speculation about his ability to carry on after accusations his wife got public money for work she did not do. Police carried out searches at the Senate in connection with the fake job allegations on Friday, searching in particular for information concerning payments there to Charles and Marie, two of Fillon's children, the public prosecutor said. Senate President Gerard Larcher, one of Fillon's most loyal allies, took to Twitter to deny a report in news publication L'Obs that he was about to withdraw support for the presidential contender.




Interview - North Korean defector was chief minder in London embassy
11:03:29 AM

Thae speaks during an interview with Reuters in   SeoulBy James Pearson SEOUL (Reuters) - Besides being the deputy ambassador, North Korea's number two diplomat in London was the man appointed to spy on embassy colleagues and report signs of disloyalty to the feared secret police. Thae and his family disappeared from the embassy quarters in the west London suburb of Gunnersbury in August and resurfaced several weeks later in South Korea. "In the London embassy, I was in charge of this kind of surveillance," the 54-year-old said.




Trump to delay rule requiring retirement advisers to avoid conflicts - official
10:59:54 AM

Trump meets with representatives of Harley-Davidson,   including Levatich, at the White House in WashingtonBy Ayesha Rascoe WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday will direct the Labor Department to delay implementation and review a rule designed to prevent conflicts of interest when advisers give retirement advice, a senior White House official said. "We think that they have exceeded their authority with this rule and we think this is something that is completely overreaching," the official told reporters at a briefing on Thursday. Trump has pledged to sharply reduce U.S. regulations, which he says have harmed American businesses.




Turkey says Greek military exercise on Aegean island breached international law
10:53:09 AM
Turkey accused Greece on Friday of breaching international law by carrying out a military exercise on an island in the Aegean Sea, in an escalating row between the two NATO allies. The Turkish foreign ministry said it was aware of Greek media reports that Greek special forces had parachuted onto Kos and said the exercise was a breach of a 1947 treaty that banned all such training on the island. A Greek defence ministry source confirmed there had been a scheduled exercise at the beginning of the week involving parachutists.


Iran to blind acid-attack woman in retribution punishment - Tasnim
10:51:37 AM
Iran's supreme court has ruled that a woman must be blinded in one eye as punishment for an acid attack that left her victim sightless, using the principle of "eye for an eye" of Islamic Sharia law, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported on Thursday. Under Iran's Sharia law, imposed since the 1979 Islamic revolution, qesas (retribution) is permitted in cases where bodily injuries are inflicted.


Critics decry Trump plan to limit counter-extremism program
10:41:11 AM

A boy looks up as demonstrators pray while   participating in a protest by the Yemeni community against U.S. President Donald   Trump's travel ban in the Brooklyn borough of New YorkBy Kristina Cooke and Dustin Volz SAN FRANCISCO/ WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Trump administration effort to exclude violent white supremacists from a government anti-terrorism program and focus efforts solely on Islamist extremism drew a sharp backlash Thursday, with New York state's top prosecutor denouncing the move and civil liberties advocates suggesting it is illegal. The proposed revamp, reported by Reuters on Wednesday, would rename the multi-agency "Countering Violent Extremism" (CVE) task force to "Countering Islamic Extremism" or "Countering Radical Islamic Extremism," and eliminate initiatives aimed at other violent hate groups in the United States. "Abandoning efforts to counter violent white supremacist ideology is profoundly misguided and will endanger Americans," New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said in a statement, adding that he urged President Donald Trump to keep the focus on "all extremist threats." Hugh Handeyside, a staff attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, said an explicit focus on American Muslims would violate "basic constitutional principles," suggesting the changes described would be met with legal challenges.




French soldier shoots, wounds machete-wielding attacker at Paris Louvre
10:40:09 AM

French police secure the site near the Louvre Pyramid   in ParisBy Michel Rose and Elizabeth Pineau PARIS (Reuters) - A French soldier shot and wounded a man armed with a machete and carrying two bags on his back on Friday as he tried to enter the Paris Louvre museum in what police said looked like a terrorist attack. The man shouted Allahu Akbar (God is greatest) and attacked another soldier before being shot near the museum's shopping mall, police said, adding a second person had also been detained after acting suspiciously. The attacker was alive but seriously wounded, the head of Paris police Michel Cadot told reporters at the scene, adding the bags he had been carrying contained no explosives.




Trump vows to end prohibition on church political activity
10:37:36 AM

U.S. President Donald Trump is seen on a screen as he   delivers remarks at the National Prayer Breakfast in WashingtonBy Jeff Mason and Roberta Rampton WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Thursday vowed to free churches and other tax-exempt institutions of a 1954 U.S. law banning political activity, drawing fire from critics who accused him of rewarding his evangelical Christian supporters and turning houses of worship into political machines. As Trump used a prayer breakfast to take aim at a long-standing statutory barrier between politics and religion called the Johnson Amendment, civil liberties and gay rights groups expressed concern that he might consider an executive order to allow government agencies and businesses to deny services to gay people in the name of religious freedom.




Attacker at Paris' Louvre cried out 'Allahu Akbar' - police
10:17:00 AM

French police secure the site near the Louvre Pyramid   in ParisAn individual who attacked a soldier at Paris' Louvre site on Friday cried out "Allahu Akbar" and police believe he wanted to carry out a terrorist attack, Michel Cadot, the head of the French capital's police force, said on Friday. "We are dealing with an attack from an individual who was clearly aggressive and represented a direct threat, and whose comments lead us to believe that he wished to carry out a terrorist incident," Cadot told reporters. "There was also a second individual who was behaving suspiciously, who has also been detained, but for now there does not appear to be a link between that individual and the attack," added Cadot.




Myanmar army killed and raped in Rohingya ethnic cleansing - U.N.
10:10:18 AM
Myanmar's security forces have committed mass killings and gang rapes of Rohingya Muslims and burned their villages since October in a campaign that "very likely" amounts to crimes against humanity and possibly ethnic cleansing, the U.N. human rights office said on Friday. One woman told U.N. investigators how her eight-month baby boy had had his throat slit. "The devastating cruelty to which these Rohingya children have been subjected is unbearable," U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad al Hussein said in a statement.


Singapore to cane Saudi diplomat for molesting hotel intern - paper
9:28:42 AM
A Singapore court sentenced a Saudi Arabian diplomat to four strokes of a cane and more than 26 months in jail for molesting a young hotel intern while on holiday in the city state last year, the Straits Times newspaper said on Friday. Bander Yahya A. Alzahrani, 39, who is attached to the Saudi Arabia Embassy in Beijing, is appealing against his conviction and sentence, the newspaper said. Caning is legal for male offenders in Singapore.


South Korea's presidential Blue House blocks search amid graft probe
9:16:07 AM

A man holds up a picture bearing an image of South   Korean President Park Geun-hye as he attends a ceremony to celebrate the new year   after a protest demanding Park's resignation, in SeoulBy Ju-min Park and Christine Kim SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean special prosecutor officials withdrew from the presidential Blue House on Friday after it blocked them from searching offices there, in the latest twist in a corruption scandal that has gripped the country for months. The special prosecution office has not explained why it needs to search the Blue House, saying only that it would be done in connection with its investigation. The prosecution said later it had asked acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn for cooperation in getting access to search the presidential offices.




Congo rebel revival endangers elections - ambassador to U.N.
9:07:46 AM
By Aaron Ross KINSHASA (Reuters) - The Democratic Republic of Congo has told the United Nations that a re-emergence of the M23 rebellion in the east is endangering a deal with the opposition intended to lead to a presidential election this year. President Joseph Kabila is meant to step down after the election under the agreement, which defused unrest prompted by his failure to step down as his mandate ended in December. In a letter to the president of the U.N. Security Council, Congo's ambassador to the United Nations, Ignace Gata Mavita, detailed a series of M23 incursions that began in November and accelerated last month.


Lawsuit claims Trump travel ban discriminates against Muslims
8:01:55 AM

Pakistani American Aisha Yaqoop, 23, of Atlanta,   yells slogans during an anti-Donald Trump travel ban protest outside   Hatfield-Jackson AtlantaThe American Civil Liberties Union accused the Trump administration in a lawsuit filed on Thursday of violating the religious freedom of some nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries who have been barred from entering the United States. The ACLU filed the lawsuit in federal court in the Northern District of California on behalf of three student visa holders, including one Yemeni who left the United States and is unable to come back, according to court documents. The lawsuit is a proposed class-action brought on behalf of nationals who are living or have lived in the United States and are originally from the Muslim-majority nations whose citizens President Donald Trump has temporarily banned from entering the United States, with some exceptions.




North Korea sacks head of secret police amid signs of 'crack in elite'
7:41:43 AM

KCNA photo of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un   inspecting the construction site of Ryomyong StreetBy Ju-min Park and James Pearson SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has dismissed its minister of state security, a key aide to the reclusive state's young leader, Kim Jong Un, South Korea said on Friday, in what a high-profile defector said would be another sign of a "crack in the elite" in Pyongyang if true. Kim Won Hong was removed from office as head of the feared "bowibu", or secret police, in mid-January apparently on charges of corruption, abuse of power and human rights abuses, Jeong Joon-hee, South Korea's Unification Ministry spokesman, said, confirming media reports. Kim Jong Un became leader in 2011 after the death of his father, Kim Jong Il, and his consolidation of power has included purges and executions of top officials, South Korean officials have said.




South Korea prosecutor may ask acting president to allow Blue House search
6:11:31 AM

People march toward the Presidential Blue House   during a protest demanding South Korean President Park Geun-hye's resignation   in SeoulSouth Korean special prosecutor's office said on Friday it may ask the acting president to intervene to allow a search of the presidential Blue House offices as part of an investigation into a graft scandal involving President Park Geun-hye. The Blue House earlier on Friday blocked investigators from executing a search warrant for its offices, citing security reasons. Special prosecution spokesman Lee Kyu-chul told reporters the office had no means to override the presidential office's objections but believed approval from acting president Hwang Kyo-ahn would provide grounds to conduct a search of the presidential offices.




U.S. to issue new Iran sanctions, opening shot in get-tough strategy - sources
6:03:15 AM

Iran's President Hassan Rouhani looks at an   exhibit during a ceremony marking National Day of Space Technology in TehranBy Arshad Mohammed, Matt Spetalnick and Jonathan Landay WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump is poised to impose new sanctions on multiple Iranian entities, seeking to ratchet up pressure on Tehran while crafting a broader strategy to counter what he sees as its destabilising behaviour, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday. In the first tangible action against Iran since Trump took office on Jan. 20, the administration, on the same day he insisted that "nothing is off the table," prepared to roll out new measures against more than two dozen Iranian targets, the sources said. The new sanctions, which are being taken under existing executive orders covering terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, may mark the opening shot in a more aggressive policy against Iran that Trump promised during the 2016 presidential campaign, the sources, who had knowledge of the administration's plans, said.




RSSFWD - From RSS to Inbox
 
Powered By Campaigner®

No comments:

Post a Comment