| Latest crime news headlines from Yahoo India News. Find top stories, videos, pictures & in-depth coverage on crime news from national news section.
| Myanmar army killed and raped in Rohingya ethnic cleansing - U.N. | | | Myanmar's security forces have committed mass killings and gang rapes of Rohingya Muslims and burned their villages since October in a campaign that "very likely" amounts to crimes against humanity and possibly ethnic cleansing, the U.N. human rights office said on Friday. One woman told U.N. investigators how her eight-month baby boy had had his throat slit. "The devastating cruelty to which these Rohingya children have been subjected is unbearable," U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad al Hussein said in a statement. |
| Turkey says Greek military exercise on Aegean island breached international law | | | (Corrects date in paragraph 2) ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey accused Greece on Friday of breaching international law by carrying out a military exercise on an island in the Aegean Sea, in an escalating row between the two NATO allies. The Turkish foreign ministry said it was aware of Greek media reports that Greek special forces had parachuted onto Kos and said the exercise was a breach of a 1947 treaty that banned all such training on the island. A Greek defence ministry source confirmed there had been a scheduled exercise at the beginning of the week involving parachutists. |
| French soldier shoots and wounds knife-wielding attacker at Paris Louvre | | By Michel Rose and Elizabeth Pineau PARIS (Reuters) - A French soldier on Friday shot and wounded a man armed with a knife after he tried to enter the Louvre museum in central Paris carrying a suitcase, police sources said. Louvre officials said the museum was closed and that visitors already inside when the attack took place were being kept there. France has been hit by a series of militant Islamist attacks over the past two years that have killed more than 230 people and which have been claimed by the militant Islamist group Islamic State.
|
| Singapore to cane Saudi diplomat for molesting hotel intern - paper | | | A Singapore court sentenced a Saudi Arabian diplomat to four strokes of a cane and more than 26 months in jail for molesting a young hotel intern while on holiday in the city state last year, the Straits Times newspaper said on Friday. Bander Yahya A. Alzahrani, 39, who is attached to the Saudi Arabia Embassy in Beijing, is appealing against his conviction and sentence, the newspaper said. Caning is legal for male offenders in Singapore. |
| South Korea's presidential Blue House blocks search amid graft probe | | By Ju-min Park and Christine Kim SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean special prosecutor officials withdrew from the presidential Blue House on Friday after it blocked them from searching offices there, in the latest twist in a corruption scandal that has gripped the country for months. The special prosecution office has not explained why it needs to search the Blue House, saying only that it would be done in connection with its investigation. The prosecution said later it had asked acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn for cooperation in getting access to search the presidential offices.
|
| Congo rebel revival endangers elections - ambassador to U.N. | | | By Aaron Ross KINSHASA (Reuters) - The Democratic Republic of Congo has told the United Nations that a re-emergence of the M23 rebellion in the east is endangering a deal with the opposition intended to lead to a presidential election this year. President Joseph Kabila is meant to step down after the election under the agreement, which defused unrest prompted by his failure to step down as his mandate ended in December. In a letter to the president of the U.N. Security Council, Congo's ambassador to the United Nations, Ignace Gata Mavita, detailed a series of M23 incursions that began in November and accelerated last month. |
| Lawsuit claims Trump travel ban discriminates against Muslims | | The American Civil Liberties Union accused the Trump administration in a lawsuit filed on Thursday of violating the religious freedom of some nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries who have been barred from entering the United States. The ACLU filed the lawsuit in federal court in the Northern District of California on behalf of three student visa holders, including one Yemeni who left the United States and is unable to come back, according to court documents. The lawsuit is a proposed class-action brought on behalf of nationals who are living or have lived in the United States and are originally from the Muslim-majority nations whose citizens President Donald Trump has temporarily banned from entering the United States, with some exceptions.
|
| North Korea sacks head of secret police amid signs of 'crack in elite' | | By Ju-min Park and James Pearson SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has dismissed its minister of state security, a key aide to the reclusive state's young leader, Kim Jong Un, South Korea said on Friday, in what a high-profile defector said would be another sign of a "crack in the elite" in Pyongyang if true. Kim Won Hong was removed from office as head of the feared "bowibu", or secret police, in mid-January apparently on charges of corruption, abuse of power and human rights abuses, Jeong Joon-hee, South Korea's Unification Ministry spokesman, said, confirming media reports. Kim Jong Un became leader in 2011 after the death of his father, Kim Jong Il, and his consolidation of power has included purges and executions of top officials, South Korean officials have said.
|
| South Korea prosecutor may ask acting president to allow Blue House search | | South Korean special prosecutor's office said on Friday it may ask the acting president to intervene to allow a search of the presidential Blue House offices as part of an investigation into a graft scandal involving President Park Geun-hye. The Blue House earlier on Friday blocked investigators from executing a search warrant for its offices, citing security reasons. Special prosecution spokesman Lee Kyu-chul told reporters the office had no means to override the presidential office's objections but believed approval from acting president Hwang Kyo-ahn would provide grounds to conduct a search of the presidential offices.
|
| U.S. to issue new Iran sanctions, opening shot in get-tough strategy - sources | | By Arshad Mohammed, Matt Spetalnick and Jonathan Landay WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump is poised to impose new sanctions on multiple Iranian entities, seeking to ratchet up pressure on Tehran while crafting a broader strategy to counter what he sees as its destabilising behaviour, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday. In the first tangible action against Iran since Trump took office on Jan. 20, the administration, on the same day he insisted that "nothing is off the table," prepared to roll out new measures against more than two dozen Iranian targets, the sources said. The new sanctions, which are being taken under existing executive orders covering terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, may mark the opening shot in a more aggressive policy against Iran that Trump promised during the 2016 presidential campaign, the sources, who had knowledge of the administration's plans, said.
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment