| Latest crime news headlines from Yahoo India News. Find top stories, videos, pictures & in-depth coverage on crime news from national news section.
| Seattle judge blocks Trump immigration order | | Saturday, February 04, 2017 12:51 AM | |
| By Dan Levine and Scott Malone SEATTLE/BOSTON (Reuters) - A federal judge in Seattle on Friday put a nationwide block on U.S. President Donald Trump's week-old executive order barring nationals from seven countries from entering the United States. The judge's temporary restraining order represents a major challenge to Trump's action, although his administration could still appeal the ruling and have the policy upheld. The Seattle judge, James Robart, made his ruling effective immediately on Friday, suggesting that travel restrictions could be lifted straight away.
|
| Trump ignites political fight over U.S. banking law reforms | | Saturday, February 04, 2017 12:42 AM | |
| By Sarah N. Lynch and Lisa Lambert WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday ordered reviews of major banking rules that were put in place after the 2008 financial crisis, drawing fire from Democrats who said his order lacked substance and squarely aligned him with Wall Street bankers. [.N] At a White House forum on Friday with U.S. business leaders, including JPMorgan Chase's CEO Jamie Dimon, Trump said his administration expects "to be cutting a lot out of Dodd-Frank." That will involve a lot more than issuing an order, said former Democratic congressman Barney Frank, co-author of the 2010 Dodd-Frank Wall Street reform law that raised capital requirements for banks, restricted their trading by means of the "Volcker Rule," and created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to guard against predatory lending.
|
| Trump's travel ban has revoked 60,000 visas for now | | Saturday, February 04, 2017 12:15 AM | |
| | By Mica Rosenberg and Lesley Wroughton NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 60,000 visas were revoked under U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order temporarily halting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, the State Department said on Friday, in one of several government communications clarifying how the order is being rolled out. The revocation means the government voided travel visas for people trying to enter the United States but the visas could be restored later without a new application, said William Cocks, a spokesman for consular affairs at the State Department. |
| French soldier shoots, wounds machete-wielding attacker at Paris Louvre | | Saturday, February 04, 2017 12:11 AM | |
| By Michel Rose and Elizabeth Pineau PARIS (Reuters) - A French soldier shot and seriously wounded a man armed with machetes who attacked him on Friday near the entrance to the Paris Louvre museum shouting Allahu Akbar (God is greatest), in what President Francois Hollande said was a terrorist attack. Police inquiries had established that the man, who was hovering between life and death after being shot, was a 29-year-old Egyptian who arrived in France on Jan. 26 after obtaining a tourist visa in Dubai, the Paris prosecutor said. Police have searched an apartment the man had rented in Paris and are now working to establish whether he acted alone, on impulse, or on orders from someone, prosecutor Francois Molins told a news conference on Friday night.
|
| Boston judge refuses to extend order against Trump immigration ban | | By Scott Malone and Dan Levine BOSTON/SEATTLE (Reuters) - A federal judge in Boston on Friday declined to extend a temporary restraining order that allowed some immigrants into the United States from certain countries despite being barred by U.S. President Donald Trump's recent executive order. The ruling was a victory for the Trump administration and a setback for state authorities and advocacy groups that are aiming to overturn last week's executive order, which temporarily bars nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States.
|
| Tens of thousands of visas revoked in Trump travel ban | | | Tens of thousands of visas were revoked under U.S. President Donald Trump's travel ban affecting seven Muslim-majority countries, the State Department said on Friday. "Fewer than 60,000 individuals' visas were provisionally revoked to comply with the executive order," said William Cocks, a spokesman for consular affairs at the State Department. Earlier news reports, citing a government attorney at a federal court hearing, put the figure at more than 100,000 visas. |
| U.S. National Security Agency's deputy director is retiring | | The deputy director of the U.S. National Security Agency, the intelligence agency in charge of electronic surveillance and code-breaking, is retiring, an NSA spokesman said on Friday. Richard Ledgett, who just turned 59, will retire in the spring, spokesman Michael Halbig said in an emailed statement. "It has been anticipated that he would retire in 2017 and he decided the time is right this spring after nearly 40 years of service to the nation." Ledgett played a central role in the agency's response to massive leaks of U.S. surveillance programs by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.
|
| Louvre attack suspect identified as 29-year-old Abdullah Reda - Egypt sources | | | CAIRO (Reuters) - The man suspected of attacking a soldier in Paris's Louvre museum on Friday has been identified as Abdullah Reda al-Hamamy, a 29-year-old Egyptian born in Dakahlia, a province northeast of Cairo, two security sources said. (Reporting by Haitham Ahmed and Ahmed Mohammed Hassan; Writing by Amina Ismail; Editing by Hugh Lawson) |
| Trump aide cites 'massacre' that never occurred to defend immigrant ban | | A Trump administration aide corrected herself on Friday after being widely criticized for referencing a 2011 "Bowling Green massacre" in Kentucky that never occurred to defend President Donald Trump's temporary ban on immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries. White House adviser Kellyanne Conway said in an interview with MSNBC's Chris Matthews on Thursday that Trump's executive order was justified in part by the "Bowling Green massacre" of 2011.
|
| French police seek to establish whether Louvre attacker acted alone | | | PARIS (Reuters) - The man who was shot and wounded at the Paris Louvre on Friday after attacking soldiers with a machete has been identified as an Egyptian and police are trying to establish whether he acted alone or under instructions, the Paris prosecutor said. The prosecutor, Francois Molins, told a news conference that the 29-year-old Egyptian had arrived in Paris on Jan. 26 after acquiring a one-month tourist visa in Dubai. (Writing By Richard Balmforth; Editing by Hugh Lawson) |
| Egypt's ministry of interior confirms Louvre attack suspect is Egyptian - two security sources | | | CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's interior ministry has received conformation from the country's embassy in Paris that the machete-wielding man suspected of attacking a soldier at the Louvre museum on Friday is Egyptian, two Egyptian security sources said. The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to the media, said they are waiting to receive further information before beginning an investigation. The Paris attacker was shot and wounded. (Reporting by Ahmed Mohammed Hassan; Writing by Amina Ismail; Editing by Hugh Lawson) |
| Treasury Secretary to report on regulatory changes in 120 days - official | | | President Donald Trump's order on financial regulations issued on Friday will require the Treasury secretary to submit a report on potential regulatory and legislative reforms in 120 days, a White House official said. "This does not mean White House or Treasury has to wait 120 days to move," the official told Reuters. |
| Conservative Fillon fights to stay in French presidential race | | Francois Fillon clung to his role as France's conservative presidential candidate on Friday amid worsening opinion poll ratings and speculation about his ability to carry on after accusations his wife got public money for work she did not do. Police carried out searches at the Senate in connection with the fake job allegations on Friday, looking in particular for information concerning payments there to Charles and Marie, two of Fillon's children, the public prosecutor said. Graphic of main competitors in French presidential election - http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/FRANCE-ELECTION/010031D933E/index.html Senate President Gerard Larcher, named by some politicians as a desirable substitute if Fillon bows out, took to Twitter to deny a report in news publication L'Obs that he was about to withdraw his support for the current presidential contender.
|
| Trump issues orders to review banking law and retirement advice rule | | By Sarah N. Lynch and Suzanne Barlyn WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday ordered a review of banking regulations introduced after the 2008 financial crisis, including a review of a rule on retirement advice. Trump pledged during his campaign to replace the Dodd-Frank law introduced under the Obama administration which raised capital requirements for banks, restricted their trading by means of the "Volcker Rule", and also created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
|
| Mexico, Turkey to speed up talks to sign trade deal | | Mexico and Turkey will speed up negotiations to sign a bilateral trade agreement, Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Videgaray said on Friday at an event in Mexico City with his Turkish counterpart. "A point of interest for both countries is to continue dialogue to build a free trade agreement between Turkey and Mexico," Videgaray said, flanked by Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu.
|
| U.S. business leaders express concerns to Trump about travel ban | | By Emily Stephenson and David Shepardson WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Chief executives of major U.S. companies huddled with President Donald Trump at the White House on Friday and some of them expressed concern about a travel ban on people from seven Muslim-majority countries travelling to the United States. Business leaders said afterward that the group, which included Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan Chase & Co and Indra Nooyi of PepsiCo Inc , discussed bank rules, tax reform, and objections to Trump's week-old ban. Some companies are worried that the travel restrictions will impact their employees or create uncertainty that could rattle markets.
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment