Friday, February 3, 2017

Criminal News Headlines | National News – Yahoo India News

Your RSS feed from RSSFWD.com. Update your RSS subscription
RSSFWD

Criminal News Headlines | National News – Yahoo India News

Latest crime news headlines from Yahoo India News. Find top stories, videos, pictures & in-depth coverage on crime news from national news section.



Trump's travel ban has revoked 60,000 visas for now
Saturday, February 04, 2017 12:15 AM
By Mica Rosenberg and Lesley Wroughton NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 60,000 visas were revoked under U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order temporarily halting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, the State Department said on Friday, in one of several government communications clarifying how the order is being rolled out. The revocation means the government voided travel visas for people trying to enter the United States but the visas could be restored later without a new application, said William Cocks, a spokesman for consular affairs at the State Department.


Seattle judge blocks Trump immigration order
Saturday, February 04, 2017 12:13 AM

David Barrows from Washington joins a rally   protesting the immigration policies of President Donald Trump, near the White   House in Washington, Friday, Feb. 3, 2017. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)By Dan Levine and Scott Malone SEATTLE/BOSTON (Reuters) - A federal judge in Seattle on Friday granted a nationwide temporary restraining order blocking U.S. President Donald Trump's recent action barring nationals from seven countries from entering the United States. The judge's order represents a major challenge to the Trump administration, which is expected to immediately appeal. The judge declined to stay the order, suggesting that travel restrictions could be lifted immediately.




French soldier shoots, wounds machete-wielding attacker at Paris Louvre
Saturday, February 04, 2017 12:11 AM

French police secure the site near the Louvre Pyramid   in ParisBy Michel Rose and Elizabeth Pineau PARIS (Reuters) - A French soldier shot and seriously wounded a man armed with machetes who attacked him on Friday near the entrance to the Paris Louvre museum shouting Allahu Akbar (God is greatest), in what President Francois Hollande said was a terrorist attack. Police inquiries had established that the man, who was hovering between life and death after being shot, was a 29-year-old Egyptian who arrived in France on Jan. 26 after obtaining a tourist visa in Dubai, the Paris prosecutor said. Police have searched an apartment the man had rented in Paris and are now working to establish whether he acted alone, on impulse, or on orders from someone, prosecutor Francois Molins told a news conference on Friday night.




Boston judge refuses to extend order against Trump immigration ban
11:22:11 PM

Migrants sit in the chapel at the Juan Bosco migrant   shelter after being deported from the U.S., in NogalesBy Scott Malone and Dan Levine BOSTON/SEATTLE (Reuters) - A federal judge in Boston on Friday declined to extend a temporary restraining order that allowed some immigrants into the United States from certain countries despite being barred by U.S. President Donald Trump's recent executive order. The ruling was a victory for the Trump administration and a setback for state authorities and advocacy groups that are aiming to overturn last week's executive order, which temporarily bars nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States.




Tens of thousands of visas revoked in Trump travel ban
10:31:13 PM
Tens of thousands of visas were revoked under U.S. President Donald Trump's travel ban affecting seven Muslim-majority countries, the State Department said on Friday. "Fewer than 60,000 individuals' visas were provisionally revoked to comply with the executive order," said William Cocks, a spokesman for consular affairs at the State Department. Earlier news reports, citing a government attorney at a federal court hearing, put the figure at more than 100,000 visas.


U.S. National Security Agency's deputy director is retiring
9:44:12 PM

NSA Deputy Director Ledgett answers questions during   the Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on the House-passed Foreign Intelligence   Surveillance Act reform bill while on Capitol Hill in WashingtonThe deputy director of the U.S. National Security Agency, the intelligence agency in charge of electronic surveillance and code-breaking, is retiring, an NSA spokesman said on Friday. Richard Ledgett, who just turned 59, will retire in the spring, spokesman Michael Halbig said in an emailed statement. "It has been anticipated that he would retire in 2017 and he decided the time is right this spring after nearly 40 years of service to the nation." Ledgett played a central role in the agency's response to massive leaks of U.S. surveillance programs by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.




Louvre attack suspect identified as 29-year-old Abdullah Reda - Egypt sources
8:41:24 PM
CAIRO (Reuters) - The man suspected of attacking a soldier in Paris's Louvre museum on Friday has been identified as Abdullah Reda al-Hamamy, a 29-year-old Egyptian born in Dakahlia, a province northeast of Cairo, two security sources said. (Reporting by Haitham Ahmed and Ahmed Mohammed Hassan; Writing by Amina Ismail; Editing by Hugh Lawson)


Trump aide cites 'massacre' that never occurred to defend immigrant ban
8:26:46 PM

Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway speaks at   the annual March for Life rally in WashingtonA Trump administration aide corrected herself on Friday after being widely criticized for referencing a 2011 "Bowling Green massacre" in Kentucky that never occurred to defend President Donald Trump's temporary ban on immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries. White House adviser Kellyanne Conway said in an interview with MSNBC's Chris Matthews on Thursday that Trump's executive order was justified in part by the "Bowling Green massacre" of 2011.




French police seek to establish whether Louvre attacker acted alone
8:15:50 PM
PARIS (Reuters) - The man who was shot and wounded at the Paris Louvre on Friday after attacking soldiers with a machete has been identified as an Egyptian and police are trying to establish whether he acted alone or under instructions, the Paris prosecutor said. The prosecutor, Francois Molins, told a news conference that the 29-year-old Egyptian had arrived in Paris on Jan. 26 after acquiring a one-month tourist visa in Dubai. (Writing By Richard Balmforth; Editing by Hugh Lawson)


Egypt's ministry of interior confirms Louvre attack suspect is Egyptian - two security sources
8:15:00 PM
CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's interior ministry has received conformation from the country's embassy in Paris that the machete-wielding man suspected of attacking a soldier at the Louvre museum on Friday is Egyptian, two Egyptian security sources said. The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to the media, said they are waiting to receive further information before beginning an investigation. The Paris attacker was shot and wounded. (Reporting by Ahmed Mohammed Hassan; Writing by Amina Ismail; Editing by Hugh Lawson)


Treasury Secretary to report on regulatory changes in 120 days - official
8:13:57 PM
President Donald Trump's order on financial regulations issued on Friday will require the Treasury secretary to submit a report on potential regulatory and legislative reforms in 120 days, a White House official said. "This does not mean White House or Treasury has to wait 120 days to move," the official told Reuters.


Conservative Fillon fights to stay in French presidential race
8:07:14 PM

Former French prime minister Fillon, member of The   Republicans political party and 2017 presidential candidate of the French   centre-right, attends a political rally in Charleville-MezieresFrancois Fillon clung to his role as France's conservative presidential candidate on Friday amid worsening opinion poll ratings and speculation about his ability to carry on after accusations his wife got public money for work she did not do. Police carried out searches at the Senate in connection with the fake job allegations on Friday, looking in particular for information concerning payments there to Charles and Marie, two of Fillon's children, the public prosecutor said. Graphic of main competitors in French presidential election - http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/FRANCE-ELECTION/010031D933E/index.html Senate President Gerard Larcher, named by some politicians as a desirable substitute if Fillon bows out, took to Twitter to deny a report in news publication L'Obs that he was about to withdraw his support for the current presidential contender.




Trump issues orders to review banking law and retirement advice rule
8:02:19 PM

Trump meets with representatives of Harley-Davidson,   including Levatich, at the White House in WashingtonBy Sarah N. Lynch and Suzanne Barlyn WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday ordered a review of banking regulations introduced after the 2008 financial crisis, including a review of a rule on retirement advice. Trump pledged during his campaign to replace the Dodd-Frank law introduced under the Obama administration which raised capital requirements for banks, restricted their trading by means of the "Volcker Rule", and also created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.




Mexico, Turkey to speed up talks to sign trade deal
7:33:35 PM

Mexico's Foreign Minister Luis Videgaray speaks   about U.S. President Donald Trump, during the Plenary Meeting of Senators of the   Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), at the Senate of the Republic building in   Mexico CityMexico and Turkey will speed up negotiations to sign a bilateral trade agreement, Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Videgaray said on Friday at an event in Mexico City with his Turkish counterpart. "A point of interest for both countries is to continue dialogue to build a free trade agreement between Turkey and Mexico," Videgaray said, flanked by Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu.




U.S. business leaders express concerns to Trump about travel ban
7:26:03 PM

Trump meets with representatives of Harley-Davidson,   including Levatich, at the White House in WashingtonBy Emily Stephenson and David Shepardson WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Chief executives of major U.S. companies huddled with President Donald Trump at the White House on Friday and some of them expressed concern about a travel ban on people from seven Muslim-majority countries travelling to the United States. Business leaders said afterward that the group, which included Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan Chase & Co and Indra Nooyi of PepsiCo Inc , discussed bank rules, tax reform, and objections to Trump's week-old ban. Some companies are worried that the travel restrictions will impact their employees or create uncertainty that could rattle markets.




Missing China tycoon's company says 'operating as normal,' shares slump
7:20:13 PM

People walk past the building with the listed address   of Tomorrow Holdings' Beijing officeSHANGHAI/BEIJING (Reuters) - Listed firms controlled by Tomorrow Holdings, the company run by missing Chinese-born businessman Xiao Jianhua, slumped on Friday, despite the parent group saying its businesses were all operating normally. Mystery swirled around billionaire Xiao's whereabouts earlier this week, with some reports saying he had been abducted from Hong Kong and taken to mainland China. A statement purportedly from Xiao posted in a Hong Kong newspaper said he was seeking medical treatment "outside the country".




French soldier shoots, wounds machete-wielding attacker at Paris Louvre
7:06:10 PM

French police secure the site near the Louvre Pyramid   in ParisBy Michel Rose and Elizabeth Pineau PARIS (Reuters) - A French soldier shot and wounded a man armed with machetes and carrying two bags on his back on Friday as he tried to enter the Paris Louvre museum in what the government said appeared to have been a terrorist attack. Initial indications were that the man, who was hovering between life and death after being shot, was an Egyptian who arrived in France at the end of January, a source close to the investigation said. The man shouted Allahu Akbar (God is greatest) and rushed at police and soldiers before being shot and seriously wounded near the museum's shopping mall, police said.




U.S. Republicans ax disclosure, emissions rules on energy
7:02:53 PM

FILE PHOTO - The logo of Exxon Mobil Corporation is   shown on a monitor above the floor of the New York Stock Exchange in New YorkBy Lisa Lambert and Timothy Gardner WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Republicans on Friday repealed a securities disclosure rule aimed at curbing corruption at energy and mining companies and voted to ax emissions limits on drilling operations, part of a push to remove Obama-era regulations on extractive industries. In a 52-47 vote, the Republican-controlled Senate approved a resolution to eradicate a rule requiring companies such as Exxon Mobil and Chevron Corp to publicly state taxes and other fees paid to foreign governments like Russia. The House of Representatives already passed the measure.




'El Chapo' lawyers complain about strict New York jail conditions
6:39:14 PM

A motorcade carrying Joaquin "El Chapo"   Guzman crosses the Brooklyn Bridge following his court appearance in the Brooklyn   borough of New YorkBy Nate Raymond NEW YORK (Reuters) - Lawyers for Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman complained on Friday that he was being subjected to excessive conditions of confinement in a federal jail and that his wife was not being allowed to visit him. The arguments came in federal court in Brooklyn at a hearing for Guzman, who has pleaded not guilty to charges that he ran the world's largest drug-trafficking organisation during a decades-long career. Guzman's wife, Emma Coronel, flew from Mexico to attend the hearing, his second appearance in a U.S. court.




Exclusive - Polish 'bluff' in EU climate talks tests bloc's patience
6:25:44 PM
By Alissa de Carbonnel BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Poland is threatening to challenge a draft European Union climate law in court, EU documents seen by Reuters show, in its latest move to slow an EU campaign against global warming that Warsaw sees as a menace to its coal-powered energy industry. In what Polish diplomats describe as leverage for talks now under way on how to spread the burden of EU climate goals among member states, Warsaw is opposing the legal basis for the rules - a battle it could take to the European Court of Justice (ECJ). It puts Poland at odds with the rest of the 28-nation bloc, deepening fears in Brussels for the EU's ability to take the lead if U.S. President Donald Trump rows back, as he has warned, from global diplomacy to tackle climate change.


RSSFWD - From RSS to Inbox
 
Powered By Campaigner®

No comments:

Post a Comment